Do you have what it takes to be my slave?
|Magazine and newspaper intern wanted
Freelance journalist Peter Watts is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated intern to assist with finding stories for magazines such as Uncut, Prospect, New Statesman and many – but not that many – more.The position is based in a south London coal cellar and you must be able to commit for six weeks or you can just piss right off you time-wasting loser.
- Coming up with features ideas: scouring newspapers and online every day for great potential features to steal
- Chasing stories, interviewing, transcribing, writing and taking cheques to the bank every week
- Sending commissioning editors obsequious emails containing poorly conceived feature pitches and then ranting impotently when they fail to respond
- Networking (ie having coffee with John O’Connell, where you will both gossip like old women about other journalists while trying to avoid paying the bill)
- Experiencing general low-level resentment every time you see a peer’s byline in a newspaper or magazine
- Pretending to be pleased for them
- Finally mastering practice/practise and effect/affect
- General admin duties (milk no sugar)
- Liaising with girlfriend and daughter
- Watering the potatoes
- Monitoring Twitter, hoping this will be the day when @caitlinmoran finally retweets something of yours that is witty and pithy
- Or failing that, @indiaknight
- Look, even @gilescoren will do at a pinch
- Coming up with witty and pithy Tweets
- Taking crap photographs for self-indulgent personal blog
- Getting three stars on tricky 5-7 level of Angry Birds
Preferably a background in journalism or slavery. Otherwise, anybody lacking self-dignity and imbued with a lacerating self-loathing will do fine. Any applicant related to somebody already working in the media will obviously receive preferential treatment.
You need to have a hunger for wiping other people’s arses. We also need you to be highly organised, motivated, determined and really, really desperate – for you, no boot is too shit-encrusted to lick if there’s half a chance you might get another unpaid intern job in a dying industry at the end of it.
This position may give you herpes. You will leave this role without a soul or pride, making it a great position for anyone wanting to have a successful career as a freelance journalist. Previous experience in real life is probably not ideal.
Please submit an updated CV and a covering letter explaining why you’d be perfect to do my dirty work for me. This is initially a temporary unpaid position although for the right candidate there is the definite potential for it becoming a permanent unpaid position.
Based on an original idea by Tiffany ‘Chutzpah!’ Wright.
Update For some serious treatments of this story, see Graduate Fog, London Fashion Intern, Psmith and Siany Land.